Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's A Special Day

This morning Laura woke up and decreed that this is a special day. And she's right. Today is a special day for several reasons. I feel like I have to mention the inauguration, which I would have loved to attend, but I didn’t want to die an early death at the hands of a cold and cranky 4 year old and only so many port-a-potties. So we’ll be watching from afar, here in North Carolina, where it is snowing. That’s right. Snowing.

Usually when we get snow, it doesn’t even fully cover the ground. Grass can still be seen and the roads are fine to drive on. Not today! I woke up at about 4:45am and saw the snow coming down. It’s 8:45 and still coming down! Schools are cancelled, the Army Man is off of work, and we're ready to head outside. I'll be back to actually post this when I have some pictures to share.

We're back from outside and we had a lot of fun! I was surprised by how windy it was, and how much it was still snowing. Those from the North, please do not mock our pathetic attempts at snow-appropriate clothing.

Our house seen from across the street
Laura looking cute
Laura and the Army Man attempting to recreate a pose from 4 years agoToken picture of me with Laura
The Army Man "sledding"
Moxie after she decided she likes snow after all
I also have to take a moment to be serious. Today is a special day for another reason, although not a happy reason. My paternal Grandfather passed away this morning in Pennsylvania. He was 96 years old and a wonderful Grandpap. I didn't know him as well as I would have liked since we lived so far apart, but he was always so nice to talk to. If you could get him really talking, he had some great stories too. He traveled with our family frequently and I remember playing tennis with him several times as a child.

Grandpap with my Dad and brother, probably about 1985Grandpap with me and my younger sister in 1982
I once interviewed him for a paper I had to write for history class. One of the questions was what did he think had changed the most since he was born in 1912. I thought for sure he would say something about TV or computers or something along those lines. He said it was people who had changed the most. I've always remembered that.

He will be missed, no doubt about it.

13 comments:

Wanda said...

Thanks for letting us enjoy your snow activities from afar. That is about as close as I want to get. Looks like fun! I watched the President take office and heard his speech. I am glad I could be in my cozy living room and not out in the frigid air. I am sure the thrill of being in the crowd was great but my old bones could not take it. Sorry about the passing of your grandpa. May the Lord comfort you all.

LCO's said...

Wahoo! Looks like Utah, I'm such a slacker mom and haven't taken my kid out once yet! Its to freaken cold looks like you guys had fun, very cute little family! Stopped by from sits

Patty said...

I am so sorry about your grandpa Claire, we will keep you and your family in our prayers. I am also very glad that the snow came, it looks like you really got alot, and I know that the Army Man did not mind staying home and playing in it at all. I miss you all so much but it really helps to see what you do everyday, and you are so good at describing your daily lives! I love you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Claire, I talked to Dad for a little bit and obviously he is very sad but he relayed this little story to me:

After finding out his father died today he left work and came home. Both Craig and I were at school still so he decided to go on a hike and take the time alone to remember his dad. After walking for about 4 miles he came to a nice clearing and sat down to eat some lunch. As he sat there, thinking about the good times they had together he heard the low roar of an engine. Suddenly over one of the near by hilltops a plane rumbled into view heading directly at him - the same type of plane that his father flew in while serving with the United States Army Air Corp. It passed peacefully over head and slowly disappeared on the horizon, never to be seen again.

Now for those of those who think that is too hard to believe the time should be taken to point out that in the 15+ years we have lived in this great state he has never seen one of these planes flying over our city before, that is how rare of an aircraft it is so the chances of it flying a route anywhere near our father on the same exact day Grandpap passed away are astronomical.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa. I love the answer to your question about what has changed the most. How true his answer is.

Visiting from SITS!

Paula said...

Fun pictures. Sorry for your loss.

Its Me(SARA) Behind the Camera said...

sorry for your loss,

the pictures look amazing, i wish we could have snow like that here in Oklahoma!

Three Dog Days said...

Claire, I am glad you had some pictures of Grandpap, because the ones I have (from when I saw him in PA a few years ago) are poorly printed.

I too would have liked to know him better. We wrote letters back and forth, sometimes with him on the typewritter (which always gave him trouble) and sometimes in his distinctive handwriting.

It is funny you mentioned the tennis. I was just remembering that on my "run" today. Especially in Sodona. I think he hoped since us kids were taking lessons he might have a satisfying game. Alas, it was not to be as none of us kids could return the ball more than about once. But he was a good sport about it.


I can't believe that story Kurt shared. Amazing, and a sure sign Grandpap is watching over us all.

DomesticDivasFancy said...

Holy Moly...that is a lot of snow. Looks like Alaska. My Air Force Hubby and I were stationed there for about 2 years. Sorry about your grandfather...I just lost my grandmother at the end of last month, it is very rough, Just pray and ask for god to help you through it.

Crystal Rae said...

I love playing in the snow, but it's to cold!

Eve said...

I've wondered often if that was the case - if it was the people or society that has changed the most over the years.
I'm sorry for your loss. It's very sad to lose a grandparent.

Congratulations on being SAUCY and congratulations on a beautiful day of snow!

Green said...

What nice memories yours and Grandpap's.
My son just took his oath last Saturday (10th)for the Army. Have any advice?
Oh and, I am visiting from SITS, just a lil' late..but congrats on being saucy!

Bethany said...

I love those pictures Claire. Hugs.