Monday, December 1, 2008

What Exactly Is A “White Bread World”?

Speaking of awesome music, I’d like to talk about how much I love Billy Joel. I love Billy Joel and I’m proud of it, and will write it for the entire world to read. I bet if you think about it for a few minutes, you’ll realize you love him too. For me, it’s a mix of loving his music (which I do!), and nostalgia. My mom listened to him when I was a child and so many of his songs have wonderful memories for me. I remember listening to the tape of Storm Front while riding around with my family in our old Volkswagen van. I remember trying to memorize all the words to “We Didn’t Start the Fire” (and I'm sure several of my readers will join me in reminiscing about the project in 8th grade in which we each had to research a verse from that song). I remember being touched by “Piano Man” as a child, before I was really even old enough to understand the emotions in that song. And when I hear “The Longest Time”, I always think about one of my dearest friends and all the times we sang that song in his car (you know who you are!).

One of the best things about Billy Joel's music is getting to share it with my daughter. It gives me such joy to watch her enjoying the music of my childhood. And I also happen to find it hysterical listening to my four year old sing about a "white bread world". So here's Laura, and her rendition of "Uptown Girl".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my..that is sickening adorable! I even tried to sing it myself, to figure out what the real words are, and I just kept singing, "white bread world". That song will never be the same for me now. LOL LOL LOL

Jared said...

I am the dearest friend! Yippee!

Thanks for the honorable mention, Claire. I know that the real reason you posted that was to see if I read your blog. Sneaky... I like it.

Bethany said...

I'm dying...dying!

Anonymous said...

For those wondering it is "white bred" as in "born." Or maybe it is "bread" like she only eats white bread!

Claire said...

Every time I look up the lyrics it has it as "bread", but I always assumed it was "bred", as in she is living in a fancy schmancy world....

From Laura's point of view though, it's definitely all about the bread!