Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Unintentional Thief

I think I’ve been the victim of a reverse scam. Is such a thing even possible? I guess it is when someone comes to your yard sale last Saturday, buys a few items with cash, says he'll be back to get them, and never returns. So I have his $18, plus some things that I could sell to someone else if I was the cruel type. Not to mention I also appear to have the key to his pickup truck, which probably explains why he hasn't come back. He was driving a small van and since he also bought some large pieces of furniture from my neighbor, he said he would go get his truck and come back. We know nothing about this guy and haven't heard a thing from him.

Is he some sort of yard sale fairy godfather who goes from house to house spreading money and good cheer, and leaving the goods so that we can make double money off of our stuff? Or is he going to show up in 6 months demanding his stuff that I will have eventually given in and gotten rid of the day before? Sadly, I'm going to have to guess it will be the latter.

5 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Well, better than if he took your stuff and gave you no $.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I am laughing because this just happened at my yard sale! I sold an old dishwasher. He paid me and never came back! He then called and said keep the money...he didn't feel like coming all the way back to get it!

Mommy of M's said...

Oh, how I hate yard sales! We are having one next week. Hubby and I stayed up until almost 11 last night pricing stuff!

This Little Hen said...

OMG I have had this happen as well. It was a large peice of furniture, they left a phone number. I tried calling them, nothing... $20 richer but felt kinda bad about it.

Wanda said...

Just logging in from new PC :)