Friday, July 10, 2009

I HATE Hackers

I'm not sure if all of you will be able to see it, but on some browsers, my cute brown background is gone, and now this garbage is showing up:

Click Here To View The Crap

This is so frustrating for me. Not only is there something showing up that I didn't put on my blog, but when I tried to report it to Blogger, their help site takes me around and around in circles, never letting me report it. Argh! On top of all this, my Hotmail email account that I've had since 2003 was hacked a few weeks ago, sending spam to all my dear family and friends. I had to delete all my contacts so they weren't spammed again, which wasn't that big of a deal since I have gmail now. The big deal was that I had to delete all of my old emails-I couldn't stomach the thought of these weirdos in my email, reading things written between me and my family and friends.

And worst of all-all of the sweet emails that the Army Man had sent me over the years, gone. Emails about silly, mundane things, yes, but still, they were our modern form of spousal correspondence. Discussions about what to have for dinner, what movie to watch, or how annoying our jobs were, are all gone. I kept a few from before Laura's birth when he was in Georgia and we were frantically trying to arrange for him to get to California in time for her birth (he made it, but more on that another time). Everything else, (68 pages worth) I deleted. I was, and still am, furious that someone accessed my personal information. It's like someone broke into my house and read all my love letters and old cards. To have it happen twice in such a short time is doubly upsetting.

I suppose I'm lucky that it wasn't my bank account, but honestly, I would have almost preferred that. Inconvenient, yes, but send me some new bank cards, refund the charges, and I'm good to go. Instead, I lost almost 4 years of emails and now have an ugly blog background that doesn't even make any sense. I think I'll go read my new Entertainment Weekly about Harry Potter and try to calm down.

Update: Here's an article with a few details about what happened. Apparently ImageShack, which hosts the images for my blog (whatever that means) was hacked by this Anti-sec movement to try to make their point with their manifesto. I think it's interesting how quickly the internet caught wind of this-people are talking about it like mad on all sorts of websites.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I am so sorry. Have you made sure they haven't attached anything to your computer? I hope this doesn't happen a 3rd time. Hang in there.....

Patty said...

What a headache, I am sorry for you. I hope you can get your blog back to it's former glory soon! It is kind of scary what can be done to our computers, by people who know what they are doing!

Three Dog Days said...

Hey, your background is back! I read the manifesto, but did not understand it. What does your blog have to do with full disclosure of security firms?!

Claire said...

I'm so glad my background is back! What a relief. And I don't have anything to do with full disclosure, which just goes to show they tried to make their point in a stupid way. All they ended up with was a bunch of upset people.

It is beyond creepy though, how easy it was for them to mess with so many people's images.

Maya said...

They must have cleared everything up because your background is back and I just clicked on the link and got a blank page. Sorry about the lost emails, but I'm glad everything seems to be normal on your blog.

Claire said...

Yep, it did get put back to normal pretty quickly, which was a relief! If you're curious and still want to read that weird "manifesto", click the second link. The person who wrote the article about it saved a screen shot of what it looked like.