Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sewing News

Fair warning: this is another craft-related post, so if that's not your bag (baby), turn away now. I wanted to report that almost exactly 24 hours later, the entire quilt top of the Midwest Modern quilt is sewn together and ready to be quilted. Probably not by me though, since I'm not quite that experienced yet.

And the reason for all of the craftiness as of late? Behold:Yes, that's a new sewing machine, and the sewing enthusiasts out there probably won't bat an eye when I say that it cost $700. The rest of you however, are rolling your eyes or gasping in horror (possibly both at once). I'll defend myself by saying that I had birthday and Christmas money, it's a business expense, and I could have spent a lot more. A LOT MORE. There are some crazy expensive sewing machines out there. I also want to point out that my Kenmore that I used to use cost about $150 and I was on my third one.

My $700 bought me 534 stitches which works out to only $1.31 per stitch. Quite a bargain if you ask me. Maybe not such a bargain though since I'll probably only ever use about 3 of those stitches. Still, I can't get over the fact that there is a little computer that helps select your stitch, that it sews some of the nicest, neatest little stitches I have ever seen, and how quiet it is compared to my old one. I've gotten so much sewing done in the last few days. I finally finished up the backing to this quilt, which I started in January 2005, if I remember correctly. It's been shipped off to be quilted. The Midwest Modern quilt was started in December 2008 and is now done and ready to be quilted. See below for the picture which you'll think is the same picture from yesterday, but isn't.So I'm not sure if I have my new machine to thank for all of my current motivation and project finishing, but I suppose I'll give it some of the credit. Next up: about 50 other half done projects and many, many new ones.

2 comments:

Older and Wiser said...

Calling Mission Control...that machine looks like it should be at NASA HQs!

Andrea said...

I love that quilt - it's beautiful. The colors are perfect! Well done. How are you going to quilt it?